Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What is the reason for the season?

Christmas is only days away and everybody in the community seems to be hurrying along to get those last minute gifts for their family and loved ones!  Go into any store and you will see a line of people at the register waiting to check out with a basket full of goodies.  The stress we are under is at a pinnacle for the year as we buy, wrap and worry about more "stuff"...STOP for a moment take a deep breathe and relax!

What is CHRISTMAS all about?  Is it about who gets the largest or most expensive gift under the tree?  Is it about how many lights are on the tree and around the house?  Is it about "stuff" at all?  It seems like christmas has become more about things than about feelings!  What has happened to christmas?? 

I had lunch with a friend today and he said it best..."My parents already know I love them, my wife already knows I love her, my friends know how I feel, why do I need stuff to show them how much I love them?  Why do I have to just give a gift at Christmas, what a great surprise to get a gift in the middle of the year just because you were thinking of them?"

Let's focus on what Christmas is all about, the feeling of love and joy for one another...Love does not cost a thing and it means so much more than a crappy old gift that gets left in a closet 364 days a year!  I think the reason for the season is to let everyone know they are loved, to spread cheer to those less fortunate and surprise somebody with a random act of kindness...after all people only expect gifts this time of the year.  Why not show them how much you love them through actions rather then price tags...you may be surprised the outcome.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2012!  Let's make next year the healthiest year yet!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment